Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: XFRMR calculation

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Bill Watt's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2003
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    (Another sample c of q question) A 10KVA XFRMR 240/120V. This XFRMR has 14.4V placed across the primary and produces rated secondary current. What is the % impedance of this XFRMR?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member neil seidner's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2003
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    Bill: The formula for calculating %imp is;

    %IZ= (Impedance test voltage)/(Rated voltage) X 100.

    The impedance test voltage is the voltage required to produce rated current in the "short circuited" secondary. 14.4V is this voltage. The rated voltage is the rated voltage of the primary.

    There is more information in "Alternating Current Fundamentals" by Duff and Herman. In chapter 13 page 415 to 417 (6th edition).

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Bill Watt's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2003
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks a million Neil, I've searched for hours for that formula. I found many other related formulae, but couldn't find the right one for this particular question.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Bill Watt's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 17th, 2003
    Posts
    14
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Neil, I noticed you responded with a formula for %IZ. Does this mean that if I'm looking for %Z then I have to divide this answer by the primary current?

  5. #5
    Inactive Member neil seidner's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2003
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Bill : I did not notice this before, but after doing some research, it seems that "%Z" and "%IZ" are both used to represent the percent impedance of a transformer. I have located the formula in two different sources, one uses %Z, the other uses %IZ, in the otherwise exact same formula.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •